I work with young children who may have difficulties in:
- Sustaining their attention
- Interacting with others during play
- Communicating their needs – perhaps using very few words
- Using sounds correctly in words
- Joining words together
- Using words where the first sound is repeated or the word sounds as if they are getting stuck
School Age Children
I work with school aged children who:
- Struggle to find the correct word and use a similar word in its place
- Confuse the word order of sentences
- Struggle to understand and accept rules of games
- Confuse more lengthy instructions
- Have unclear speech
Secondary School Age Children
I work with secondary-aged children who:
- Confuse topic vocabulary in subjects
- Have difficulties understanding less concrete language such as words with two meanings
- Have difficulties understanding humour and idioms
- Have difficulties interacting socially with their peer group and some adults
- Struggle with organisational skills and rely heavily on routines and visual prompts
I am experienced and highly skilled in working with teaching staff, ensuring that there are no added demands on the teachers’ time. I look to include therapy ideas and support as part of the curriculum, whereby teachers feel enthused to naturally include the skills and strategies advised as part of their normal teaching routines.
I am qualifed and experienced to work with children presenting with:
- Developmental delay
- Global delay
- Specific speech sound delay/disorder
- Specific language delay/disorder
- Down Syndrome
- Learning disabilities
I believe in joint coaching and demonstrating ideas to parents and believes this a central part to the success of therapy. Parents take home resources used in session to ensure ease of carryover and consistency of therapy between regular sessions.
What To Expect :
I provides parents/carers/organisations with:
- A free telephone consultation to discuss a childs therapy needs in more detail.
- An initial assessment at the clinic.This will involve taking a case history, observing the child in a relaxed atmosphere and carrying out some informal and formal assessments where appropriate. It may be necessary to see the child on further visits to continue assessment.
- A summary report will be provided following the assessment period, outlining your child’s communication strengths and needs as well as presenting you with recommended strategies and approaches.
- I would agree a plan to suit and discuss therapy options with you and liaise with existing staff and other professionals involved, drawing together a holistic therapy plan.
Therapy works when the child and parent are having FUN!!!!
The following therapy options may be suitable:
- Weekly therapy (or more frequent) in a chosen setting
- Bi-weekly therapy in a chosen setting
Monthly monitoring to review and update advice
- Termly educational visits to review and update advice
- Supportive therapy through parents and carers, informing you of the available resources.
- Research of resources related to your child’s needs
I will discuss and update the therapy plan at regular intervals throughout your child’s therapy. It is important that I can provide effective therapy services to support your child’s development and I will discuss with you if I feel a level of therapy service is being ineffective.
I am happy to provide group therapy in the clinic or at an educational setting, where a group of parents identify two or more children with similar therapy needs. I would discuss with you whether the children’s needs match and would be effective to work together.
When your child’s communication needs have improved to a level you are satisfied with, I will agree with you to discharge my duty of care to your child. A letter confirming this will be sent to all professionals involved where you have given us consent with to do so.